Adobe e-book FAQs
How do I access my e-book?
After you have completed your purchase you will receive your sales receipt and a separate email containing the download instructions and a link to your download.
You can also access your downloads immediately via the downloads page in your My Account area.
After buying an e-book, you will receive two emails: the first confirms your order and the second contains a link to download your e-book.
These automated emails are sent immediately after purchase. If you have not received an email within two hours, please check your junk/spam folder and then please email email@example.com with a note of your order number.
Our e-books are available in Adobe EPUB and Adobe eBook formats.
Kindle versions of our titles are available from the Amazon Kindle Store.
Our Adobe EPUB and Adobe e-book files are protected using Adobe DRM, and our Kindle titles are protected by Amazon DRM.
- Adobe e-book - To read an Adobe e-book, you need to download the latest version of Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) here.
- EPUB - To read an EPUB, you need to download the latest version of ADE here.
- Kindle - To buy e-books compatible with your Kindle e-reader, please visit the Kindle Store using the link provided on the book product page.
Our e-books have digital rights management (DRM) applied – we do not supply our eBooks in a DRM-free format.
E-books purchased from IT Governance websites can be downloaded and read on computers, iPads, iPhones, smartphones and e-readers (including Kobo, Sony and Nook).
E-books are not compatible with Linux operating systems.
All of our eBooks are secured using DRM. This means that they can only be read on devices that use applications specified on this page.
Why can’t I have a DRM-free PDF format?
In order to protect our intellectual property, all of our e-books are DRM protected. Unfortunately, we cannot provide eBooks as PDFs or in any DRM-free format.
Can I read an e-book that I’ve downloaded from IT Governance’s websites on my Kindle?
No, e-books bought direct from IT Governance websites cannot be read on a Kindle. To read e-books on your Kindle, please make your purchase through the Kindle Store using the link provided on the book product page, or search for the e-book title in the Amazon Kindle Store.
Can I print or share my e-book?
You are able to print your e-book once, but you are not permitted to share or copy-and-paste content. Please check your printer has sufficient ink and paper before printing.
If you have set up an Adobe ID, you have unlimited access to your e-book on up to six different devices.
For more information, see http://blogs.adobe.com/aemmobile/supported-devices.
The link to download my e-book doesn’t work
When you buy an e-book from an IT Governance website you will receive an email with a download link for your title. That link automatically expires after 30 days.
If you have not downloaded your e-book by this time, please email us with a note of your order number, if you have this, at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will arrange for a new link to be sent to the same email address.
I can’t find my e-book in ADE
If you believe that your download has been successful but cannot see your file in the ADE library, check within the directory.
- Go to ‘File’, select ‘Add to Library’ and check the location to which your files would normally be downloaded for your purchase.
- There is a drop-down menu in the lower-right corner of the ‘Add to Library’ pop-up, which defaults to ‘e-books’. If you still cannot find your file, try selecting ‘Adobe Content Server Message’ and check again.
- Alternatively, go to ‘My Computer’ and then into ‘My Digital Editions’. Here you can review imported titles and open the file.
Accessing your Adobe e-book - getting started and setting up
For help with accessing your Adobe e-book, please follow the steps below.
During the installation process you will be asked to authorise your computer.
When asked to select an e-book vendor, select ‘Adobe ID’ from the drop-down menu.
If you have already downloaded your e-book to an Adobe ID authorised version of ADE or Bluefire Reader on your computer and want to access it via your mobile device, simply download the appropriate app from your app store, enter your Adobe ID (the same Adobe ID that you authorised the computer with) and authorise the device. Your stored eBook library will then appear on your device.
- Step 1. Setting up an Adobe ID (free)
You can set up an Adobe ID here.
You will be asked to provide an email address and create a password. The email address you provide must match the email address that you used to buy your e-book.
- Step 2. Setting up ADE – free software
You need to download the latest version of ADE compatible with your preferred platform here.
- Step 3. Authorise your device or computer
- Step 3.1. Setting up ADE without creating an Adobe ID
- During the installation process and when setting up your ADE, a window will ask you to “Authorize Your Computer” – enter the information created in step 1. Check the “I want to authorize my computer without an ID” box and click “Authorize”.
- Enter your Adobe ID – this is the email address you used in step 1.
- Enter your password – this is the password you created in step 1.
Accessing your Adobe e-book on a PC, Mac, e-reader, iPhone, iPad, Android or Kindle device.
For help with accessing your book on a compatible device, please follow the steps below.
Accessing your e-book on a PC or Mac:
- Open the email from IT Governance containing the download instructions for your e-book and click the download link. The download link will open in a web page. If you can’t see this in your inbox, check your spam/junk folder.
- Click ‘Open with’ and select ADE. Before clicking ‘OK’, tick the box that asks you to make this your default program for opening similar files.
- ADE will open and the e-book will automatically download to your library. It will also be saved to a ‘My Digital Editions’ folder.
- Access this folder by going to the ‘My Documents’ folder on a Windows PC, or ‘Documents’ on a Mac.
Accessing your e-book on an e-reader:
Your new title will appear on your device.
Follow the instructions specified in steps 1 and 2 above to set up ADE and download your e-book onto a computer.
- Connect your e-reader to the computer.
- Open ADE and go to the ‘Library’ view. Your e-reader should appear under ‘Devices’.
- Drag the e-book(s) from the ‘Library’ view across to ‘Devices’.
- Once the e-book has been moved, you can safely eject your e-reader.
Accessing your e-book on an iPhone, iPad or Android device:
- Download ADE or the Bluefire Reader app from the app store (iTunes or Google Play) or the provider’s website.
- Continue through the app’s set-up and installation process by either:
- On your device, open the email you received from IT Governance containing the download instructions for your purchase and click the link to continue to the download page. If you can’t see this in your inbox, check your spam/junk folder.
- The download link will open in a web page and you will be prompted to click ‘Open In’. Select ADE or the Bluefire Reader app. The application will automatically open and your e-book will begin downloading.
- If you want to use your Kindle app instead of downloading a new app, see the steps here.
- Entering your Adobe ID and authorising the device; or
- Continuing without an Adobe ID and authorising the device.
Accessing your e-book on a Kindle or ‘My Kindle’ app:
To read an e-book on a Kindle you need to buy your title via the Amazon Kindle Store here. IT Governance’s web shop does not support purchases made for Kindle-compatible devices.
If you have an account with Amazon and would rather buy a Kindle file for your mobile device (that is not an Amazon Kindle), you will need to download the Kindle Reading app for the device.
Still having trouble?
If you're still experiencing issues with your download, please email us and include the following information in your email:
- Your order number (this can be found in the title of the confirmation email).
- The date of purchase.
- The email address you used to receive the e-book.
- The product you're having issues downloading.
- If possible, please quote the exact error message you receive and/or attach screenshots to your email.
Refunds and returns
We are unable to offer refunds on any digital products. Please check that your chosen format is suitable for your computer or device before completing your purchase.
More information on our terms and conditions can be found here. If you have any concerns, please email us.