The benefits of ISO 22301
The ISO 22301:2012 standard specifies the requirements for setting up and managing an effective business continuity management system (BCMS).
An ISO 22301-compliant BCMS brings many benefits, especially when combined with independent certification.
A BCMS helps organisations update, control and deploy their business continuity plans (BCPs) and align them with their strategic and operational objectives.
Many organisations believe that if they have a BCP in place, they will be able to respond to an incident appropriately. Although a BCP will guide the response team as to what they are supposed to do if an incident occurs, it is usually not part of a formal management system.
A BCP is not likely to work if it is not tried and tested or not regularly updated. Since it is not integrated in the organisation’s corporate governance and management system, the BCP often gets filed and forgotten, with just a few members of the organisation aware of it.
Statistics indicate that 80% of organisations that face a significant business discontinuity and do not have in place adequate and appropriate plans to ensure business continuity, do not survive the event.
A BCMS is broadly accepted as the most comprehensive approach to organisational resilience. It helps organisations to update, control and deploy effective plans, taking into account organisational contingencies and capabilities as well as the business needs (product and service requirements). Unlike a BCP, a BCMS can and should be embedded in the organisation’s culture.
An ISO 22301-compliant BCMS helps you to:
- Create effective, operational BCPs;
- Make sure all BCPs are fit for purpose;
- Align plans with strategic organisational objectives;
- Continually improve BCPs as the organisation grows;
- Reduce the cost of business interruption insurance policies;
- Satisfy a condition for a licence to operate; and
- Satisfy corporate governance obligations.
The benefits of ISO 22301 certification
Adhering to ISO 22301 means that you follow best practice and are adopting a consistent approach to business continuity.
An ISO 22301-compliant BCMS brings many benefits, especially when combined with independent certification. An ISO 22301 certification:
- Demonstrates to key stakeholders (customers, suppliers and partners) that your organisation is resilient;
- Increases your competitive advantage and enhances your reputation;
- Is internationally recognised;
- Increases customer loyalty and trust;
- Protects your financial income and business assets;
- Helps you save costs by reducing the costs of tendering;
- Helps you comply with all mandatory legal and regulatory requirements; and
- Can be aligned and integrated with ISO 9001, ISO 27001, ISO 14001, ISO 20000 and ISO 28000 management standards to deliver significant benefits.
ISO 22301 certification: everything you need
IT Governance has been involved with the business continuity standard BS 25999 (the predecessor of ISO 22301) since its first publication.
We are a single-source provider of resources required to implement best practice and achieve certification to ISO 22301:
Increase your competitive edge and protect your business by starting your ISO 22301 implementation project today.
Call 00 800 48 484 484 for more information.