What is ISO/IEC 20000?
ISO/IEC 20000 is the international standard for service management. Part 1 of the ISO/IEC 20000 standard lays out a specification for a service management system (SMS). Part 2 provides guidance on SMS implementation. On this page you'll find information on the ISO/IEC 20000 standard itself, as well as relevant books, training and resources.
Get your copy of the standard
If you need help with your ISO/IEC 20000 project, more information about our products and solutions, or just some advice, speak to an expert today!
Benefits of ISO 20000
ISO 20000 can help your organisation benchmark its ITSM, improve services, demonstrate its ability to meet customer requirements and create a framework for independent assessment.
Some of the most common benefits of ISO 20000 certification for service providers are that it:
- Offers competitive differentiation by demonstrating reliability and high quality of service;
- Gives access to key markets, as many organisations in the public sector mandate that their IT service providers demonstrate compliance with ISO 20000;
- Provides assurance to clients that their service requirements will be fulfilled;
- Enforces a measurable level of effectiveness and a culture of continual improvement by enabling service providers to monitor, measure and review their service management processes and services;
- Drives down the costs of conformance to a multitude of regulations, including the PCI DSS and Sarbanes-Oxley;
- Helps leverage ITIL practices to optimise resources and processes.
ISO 20000 parts 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
ISO 20000 uses a process-based approach for continual improvement and is split into five parts.
Parts 1 and 2 outline the requirements for implementing a service management system (SMS) that enables IT service providers to enhance the quality of service they deliver to internal and external customers.
Part 1: Service management system requirements
Part 1 - ISO 20000-1:2011 - provides requirements for ITSM and is relevant to those responsible for initiating, implementing or maintaining ITSM in their organisation. It provides a specification for an SMS. Organisations can have their SMSs independently certified as conforming to the requirements of ISO 20000-1:2011.
Purchase your copy of the Standard
Part 2: Guidance on the application of service management systems
Part 2 - ISO 20000-2:2012 - describes the best practices for service management processes within the scope of part 1.
Part 3: Guidance on scope definition and applicability of ISO/IEC 20000-1
Part 3 - ISO 20000-3:2012 - provides vital information on writing a scope for an SMS, as well as providing information on implementing an ISO 20000-1 SMS.
Part 4: Process reference model
Part 4 - ISO 20000-4:2012 - helps you develop a process assessment model according to ISO/IEC 15504 process assessment principles.
Part 5: Exemplar implementation plan for ISO/IEC 20000-1
Part 5 - ISO 20000-5:2012 - provides an implementation plan for an SMS that meets the requirements of ISO 20000-1.
Discover our bestselling ISO 20000 products and services
Whether you're just starting your ISO 20000 project, or you need the tools and training to move to the next stage, discover our range of bestselling products and services below to support your on your journey.