Implementing ISO 20000
ISO 20000 supports and enhances ITIL®. For organisations that have already adopted ITIL, an ISO 20000 IT service management system is the logical next step. You can find everything you need to help you implement an ISO 20000-compliant SMS (service management system) below.
ISO 20000 Implementation: Getting Started
ISO/IEC 20000enables organisations to ensure that IT service management processes comply with international best-practice requirements while integrating with the business requirements of the organisation.
Securing management commitment and determining an appropriate implementation approach are key for an effective ISO 20000 SMS. Further your understanding of ISO 20000 and its benefits by reading the following: ISO/IEC 20000 - A Pocket Guide, Second edition
ISO 20000 Implementation: Approach
ISO 20000 implementation is based on the plan-do-check-act cycle, typical of most management systems. Read a detailed explanation of this approach in the Exin-accredited book Implementing Service Quality based on ISO/IEC 20000, 3rd edition by Michael Kunas.
Plan: Plan the implementation and operation of your service management system
- Identify the scope of service management
- Establish IT service management objectives
- Determine the necessary processes
- Define roles and responsibilities
- Determine resources and timescales
- Develop processes for managing risks
- Develop methods for managing, auditing and improving service quality
Do: Implement the service management plan
- Manage budget and resources
- Select, train and motivate staff
- Create documentation and monitor plans, policies and procedures for the various processes all documents are available in the ITSM, ITIL® & ISO/IEC 20000 Implementation Toolkit
- Treat and mitigate risks
Check: Monitor measure and review the achievement of the service management objectives
- Periodically review the management plan
- Determine whether the SMS is compliant with ISO 20000
- Create an audit programme
Act: Identify actions for continuous improvement and increasing the effectiveness of the SMS
- Publish a policy which contains a clear definition of roles and responsibilities for the improvement of service activities
- Create a service improvement plan
- Eliminate non-conformities
ISO 20000 implementation: Critical success factors
- Team competence: Service management employees need to have a deep understanding of service quality standards and the service management process
- Accountability: Each process has to have an owner
- Documented policies and processes: Documentation of all activities is absolutely essential
- Communications: Communication between the team members and the processes is of the utmost importance
- Audits: Perform regular conformance audits and make improvements
Need assistance with ISO 20000 implementation?
The IT Governance expert consultants can help you implement a service management system compliant with the Standard and gain ISO 20000 certification.