With the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) compliance deadline on the horizon, any organisation that processes EU residents’ personal data will likely be exploring implementation options to help tackle its compliance project, if it hasn’t already done so.
Supervisory authorities such as Ireland’s Data Protection Commissioner (DPC) have highlighted ISO 27001, the international standard that describes best practice for an information security management system (ISMS), to provide assurance that the necessary technical and organisational requirements to prevent a data breach are in place.
How ISO 27001 helps achieve GDPR compliance
An ISMS is a set of policies, procedures and processes that manage information risks such as cyber attacks, criminal hacks, data leaks and theft.
Implementing an ISO 27001-compliant ISMS is not only information security best practice but is also integral to demonstrating data protection compliance.
Article 32 of the GDPR requires organisations to:
- Take measures to pseudonymise and encrypt personal data;
- Ensure the ongoing confidentiality, integrity, availability and resilience of processing systems and services;
- Restore the availability and access to personal data in a timely manner in the event of a physical or technical incident; and/or
- Implement a process for regularly testing, assessing and evaluating the effectiveness of technical and organisational measures for ensuring the security of processing.
Article 32 further requires risks “from accidental or unlawful destruction, loss, alteration, unauthorised disclosure of, or access to personal data” to be identified and mitigated.
By following ISO 27001, you will be able to implement adequate and effective security measures, based on the outcomes of a formal risk assessment, to comply with the GDPR.
Benefits of an ISO 27001-compliant ISMS
Implementing an ISO 27001 ISMS can help your organisation:
- Win new business and retain existing customers;
- Avoid the financial penalties and losses associated with data breaches;
- Protect and enhance your reputation; and
- Comply with business, legal, contractual and regulatory requirements, including the GDPR and the Directive on security of network and information systems (NIS Directive).
Successfully implement an ISO 27001 ISMS
Learn how to successfully implement an ISO 27001 ISMS on our fully certified, practitioner-led ISO 27001 Certified ISMS Lead Implementer course. This course equips you with the skills to lead an ISO 27001-compliant ISMS implementation project. Drawing on ISO 27001 experts Alan Calder and Steve Watkins’s industry-leading implementation guide, IT Governance – An International Guide to Data Security and ISO27001/ISO27002, this three-day course covers the nine key steps involved in planning, implementing and maintaining an ISO 27001-compliant ISMS.
Why train with us?
- Our courses are always fully booked – be sure to book your place today.
- The courses have been designed by our management team that led the world’s first successful ISO 27001 implementation project.
- All courses include an ISO 17024-certified exam, meaning you will achieve a globallyrecognised ISO 27001 qualification.
- Our courses are the most affordable you will find.
Further your career with certified ISO 27001 training delivered by industry experts. Book your place today >>
Book our ISO27001 Foundation and Lead Implementer Combination Course and save 15%.