Black Friday and Cyber Monday – the busiest time of the year for online retailers – are almost here. Customers look forward to these dates to grab a pre-Christmas bargain, but with cyber crime at an all-time high in Ireland, it’s more important than ever to ensure the website you’re browsing is trusted and legitimate.
Here are a few tips to protect yourself against cyber criminals.
- Do your research. Don’t click social media links or adverts that send you to a page to purchase a discounted product. Always research the company first, and ensure you are directed to the legitimate website.
- Buy from known suppliers that you are familiar with, or use websites recommended by your family and friends.
- Check that the website is secure: look for a padlock symbol and ‘https’.
- When purchasing online, don’t use public Wi-Fi. Switch to 3G/4G before you enter any of your payment details.
- Read the company’s terms and conditions and ensure it provides you with its contact details, such as a phone number or email address.
- Don’t send your card details to any supplier via email.
- If you spot any suspicious online activity, report it to your local Gardaí.
Niamh Davenport, who leads the FraudSMART programme for Banking & Payments Federation Ireland, said: “While Black Friday provides consumers with a great chance to grab a bargain, it can also open up the perfect opportunity for scammers and hackers. It is often a simple or easy measure that people can take to protect against fraud and it is important that consumers know these to avoid being vulnerable to fraudsters.”
You can also read a statement here from the Gardaí promoting safe online shopping.
Ensure your online store is secure and your customers’ personal data and card details are protected.
Our Web Application Penetration Test will identify vulnerabilities in your websites and web applications. This test can also help you meet the requirements of the PCI DSS (Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard) and ISO 27001.
Our free green paper, Assured Security: Getting cyber secure with penetration testing, will teach you how cost-effective penetration testing can help keep your business secure and safe from cyber attacks. Download here.
For more information and guidance on our penetration testing or packages, please contact our experts. They’ll be happy to discuss your organisation’s needs further.